Wednesday, June 10, 2009

DUMB idea.

So yesterday was a solid run. Did a 7k ez warm up followed by a fast 7k run with a 2k warm down with a 6k cruise in the evening totaling 22k for the day. This morning i met up with Zorian to do an open water swim with some 250m fast repeats. I got there and it was cold, as usual, and put on my wetsuit as i was told it was 61 degrees F. So we dive in, do 1000m warm up and do the set which was 250m hard + 250m ez 4 times through. All went well and at the end we decided to take our wetsuits off and swim the 1000m warm down. As soon as i dove in, my body flushes the 02 from my lungs as it was shocked by the cold water. We start swimming and my body adapts to the cold for the first 250m. By the 500m mark i can feel my chest becomming very cold and my forearms starting to seize. My body was cooling down and sending the blood away from my legs and arms to my chest to keep my organs warm. So it becomes harder and harder to move my arms. Finally we make it to the end and struggle to get out as my arms are low in blood. both of us were frozen. I towel dry and make it to the car and crank the heat to Lava hot and blast the fan to hurricane stregnth.
All in all it was a good set and a reminder that I am Canadian and i would love to see any southerner even dip their toes in the water.

No comments: